Sunday, May 31, 2009

Smoking

I have been smoking for more than 23 years. In that time, I have stopped several times for a couple of weeks.
Apparently a person gets over the nicotine addiction within three days? 
Why is it then, that I find the first week of trying to quit, the easiest? 
It is in the second and third week of not smoking that I find most challenging. 
My conclusion; nicotine is not addictive.
(When googling this, I found many views saying it is addictive, and lots of articles stating that it is not addictive). The thing is, that I am not a scientist or chemical expert. 
I believe a person gets addictive to the action of smoking, the action of sucking. One of the first things as a new born baby does, is to suck. Their is comfort in sucking onto the mother's breast. Great love is shared between baby and mother in these early years. As toddlers we do the thumb sucking. As adults some of us takes to smoking.
I think we smoke because, we feel the need to be loved, the way our mother's loved us. I think, as smoking adults we need to realize that we are okay, we need to realize that it is okay to love ourselves, to regain our own self-respect, to honor ourselves. It is okay to be ourselves. 
I am now on 8 days of not smoking. I am at my personal difficult stage. I know that by loving myself affectively that I will be able to break this habit completely. 
I will respect my bodily temple. 
I LOVE myself.

2 comments:

No Tobacco said...

Quitting smoking is the MOST important decision you'll ever make in your life, for you and your loved ones. It is better to start Now, because the longer you stay on it, the more damage it will do to your body.

Gaes said...

I quit on Dec 31st 2007...and the multitude of blessings that have since entered my life is quite astounding...I consider the appearance in my life of this blogspot to be yet another...